What holidays to include throughout the school year and how to find a balance between teaching sacred and secular music.
The key takeaways from this training include:
1. ”If you’re doing a holiday program with certain grades, you’ll do just one song with the other grades”
2. ”Vary up your programs every year, but also do what works for you.”
3. “You either teach songs about every holiday, or you just teach a few. The objectives just state to teach holiday songs, but doesn’t say you have to teach every single one.”
4. “Refer to the article by NAfME about how much sacred music to teach in a secular school. This recommended resource can be found in the PDF section.”
5. “Teach sacred music, but balance it with secular music as well. Both are needed in the public school system and it’s important kids have a well rounded education.”
6. “It’s not a matter of teaching what a student, or us as the teacher, are uncomfortable with, but is about a balanced education.”